Re: [Amps] 20kw Dummy load?

To: robin@redpoint.org.uk
Subject: Re: [Amps] 20kw Dummy load?
From: "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 19:54:59 +0100
Robin Szemeti wrote:
On Thursday 23 September 2004 22:27, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:

so maybe a couple

of dozen kilometres of LDF550 might do the trick?

Sure it would work, but it would also be totally unnecessary - something
much smaller could be made.

Not sure ... see, I think the power will be dissipated roughly equally in the outer and the center conductor, so if we go back to our 100m of coax example, the average disspation on the first 30m will be around 300w/m ... or 150w on the inner, 150w per meter ... on the outer ... and getting that 150w away rfom the outer would be easy enough with water cooling, the inner however is likely to be insulated in a polythene foam core ... its going to fry.

and probably the hamsters too.

I appreciate that coax loads work just fine at lower power levels, but this is serious cooking power, and its going to have to be either a dipole or a proper load.

You have a point I would admit. Getting the heat out the centre might be an issue.

I forget what frequncy this was wanted at, but I don;t thnk it was that high. In which case the dielectric losses of the coax will be pretty insignificant - it is the the copper losses that will dominate.

20 kW is an RMS current of 20 A RMS in a 50 Ohm system. Anyone fancy hooking up a power supply and seeing what happens if 20 A DC is passed though the inner conductor of a bit of RG213 for 5 minutes. If that survives, then passing the same current though both the inner and outer would be a pretty good reprsentation of what would happen with 20 kW of RF.

I was not really thinking of water cooling it - I was rather hoping that the air would be sufficient. I know skin effects would come into this too, but i think they would be insignificant.

If RG213 will not do, I expect LDF-450 would for the 5 minutes in the original spec. Perhaps a bit of LDF-450, with a bit of RG213 on the end.might be more sutiable.

I don't have a 20 A PSU handy, but I expect someone will be able to test it.