Re: [Amps] Non-inductive resistors

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Non-inductive resistors
From: craxd <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 15:43:18 -0400
Mike,
For smaller loads, I'd use a Globar resistor also. For the 20 Kw load, and to homebrew one with limited resources, they might look into this. I was thinking about those large grid resistors. If one had two of them, 25 ohms each, but wound in opposite directions, it might work somewhat by seriesing them. This would be the same as that dual wound resistor in two sections with the different hand coils. The bifilar has a lot of capacitance due to the potential difference between the incoming and outgoing resistance wire. But, if this was broken up like the mentioned in sections, it may work also. One would have to use some sort of alloy tubing with the highest resistance you could get. For 20 Kw, were probably talking something like 3/4" diameter tubing with maybe a 1/8" thick wall or larger. Inco Alloys (Now named Huntington Alloys), has both the alloy mill (Huntington, WV.), and the tubing plant just down the road in Burnaugh, Kentucky. They make about every nickel alloy, (Inconel, Monel, etc.), and others you could mention. I had a friend who retired there and he may know about this, I'm not sure. Even using that figure eight pattern might be better. It has a figure eight wound every other turn so to continuously reverse the current flow from one turn to the next. With stiff enough tubing, this might be done without using a coil form.

I'd like to experiment with this some myself just to see what will work and what will not. For loads of 5 Kw and down, I'd stick with the Globar resistors.

Will Matney