Re: [Amps] 3-500Z Recomendations

To: "Steven Cook" <sccook1@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3-500Z Recomendations
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2004 01:20:39 -0700

On Oct 1, 2004, at 7:19 PM, Steven Cook wrote:

Team,

Anyone have data/idea/opinion on currently available 3-500Z fire bottles. I believe Eimac stooped making them, but have seen the Eimac part available albeit, at a high price; e.g., $250.00 and up.

Eimac 3-500Zs that were manufactured in Salt Lake City in the 1990s have a well-deserved reptutation for bad spotwelds in the anode cooler. When the welds let go, the anode-cooler will touch the grounded grid. The way to test for this problem is to slap the tube down into one's palm. If the spotwelds are bad, the anode cooler will bend. I have heard of no Chinese metal-anode tube with this problem. Graphite-anode tubes have no anode welds, so they can not have this problem.

What about the Amprex, Phillips, or Chinese bottles available through RF Parts, et al?

Where is the best place to purchase 3-500Z these days?

Should they be a matched pair if going into a TL-922A?

Are the graphite plate tubes O.K.?

Any comments, criticisms, concerns, attacks, cajoling would be appreciated.

Steve
WG7K

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org