Re: [Amps] Ameritron AL-80A tuning question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ameritron AL-80A tuning question
From: "KI4DJN" <KI4DJN@insightbb.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 18:31:38 -0400
From: "NW7US, Tomas" <nw7us@hfradio.org>
To: <amps@contesting.com>
Sent: Sunday, October 17, 2004 4:34 PM
Subject: [Amps] Ameritron AL-80A tuning question

Hi,

I am wondering if there is an error in the tuning instructions for the
Ameritron AL-80A in my copy of an old manual.

It states:

8. Apply only enough drive to indicate a grid current of 50 mA or an Ip of
no more than 200 mA.  Tune the PLATE control for maximum grid current.  It
is normal for the plate current to dip at this point.  If the grid current
goes over 100 mA reduce the drive at once.  Unkey the exciter.

Ok - the part I am wondering about is "Tune the PLATE control for maximum
grid current."  It seems, in every band that I do this procedure, there is
no "maximum" on the grid meter - but there is ONE spot that is a DIP in
readings.  And, this is where the power out on the watt meter increases.
In other words, no matter where I move the PLATE control, the grid meter
level stays about the same, except for one tuning spot where the grid
current DIPS - and this is where I notice increase power out... so either
the manaul is misleading me, or I am doing something incorrectly.

I'm just learning the Amp, and I am not an Amp user - this being my first
Ameritron, and second Amp I've ever operated.  I am wishing to operate the
Amp properly so I don't ruin the equipment.  Any pointers would be
appreciated.

Thanks,

73 de Tomas, NW7US (AAR0JA/AAA0WA)

: Propagation Editor for CQ, CQ VHF, and Popular Communications :
: Creator of live propagation center - http://prop.hfradio.org/ :
: Member, US Army Miltary Affiliate Radio Service (MARS) AAR0JA :
: 122.93W 47.67N / Brinnon, Washington USA - CN87 - CW/SSB/DIGI :
: Website, software, database design - http://newwebmakers.com/ :
: Washington State Army MARS, State Army MARS Director - AAA0WA :
: 10x56526, FISTS 7055, FISTS NW 57,  AR Lighthouse Society 144 :

You might try this page. It helped us!
http://www.qsl.net/kk5dr/Tuneup.htm

73
Stu