Re: [Amps] a question on non-linearity

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] a question on non-linearity
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@ispwest.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 09:16:19 -0700
On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 20:31:51 +0100 (BST), CLIVE COLLINS wrote:

>Could some learned reader advise me as to
>what exactly a triode's characteristics would
>be like if it were to be described as "non-linear".

For an amplifier to be linear, the output must always be in proportion
to the input.  Generally, when a tube is overdriven, at some point the
output will stop increasing even though the input IS still increasing.
This is also known as "compression" and should be avoided in amateur
radio amplifiers.

In some other amplifier applications though, non-linearity might be
desirable, at least by some users.

--
Bill W6WRT