Re: [Amps] Peak power meter

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Peak power meter
From: Will Matney <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 22:14:55 -0400
I was thinking one could probably home brew the coupler(s) to match the probe that is attenuated for the max output of the 50 mW. I don't think that would really be too hard to do, especially if one had the manual on the meter. That's really all the factory ones are, or at least the ones I've seen for Boonton and HP. I think they're similar in a way to the Bird couplers (slugs) which is a small strip line made for each frequency range. In that, there is a fast switching diode and a resistor to drop the voltage down where needed. When the coupler is rotated 180 deg., the diode connection and ground switches ends to make up the fwd and ref power measurements. I couldn't say for sure on this brand, but a little research will reveal a lot.

Will Matney