[Amps] Heathkit HD-1250 dip meter

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>,"rfamplifiers@yahoogroups.com" <rfamplifiers@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [Amps] Heathkit HD-1250 dip meter
From: Will Matney <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 18:24:05 -0400
I just got in a Heathkit HD-1250 dip meter where the foam inside the cases lid had started to dissolve and become sticky, similar to tar. This was a bad problem with these after storage for a while. Some sort of chemical reaction takes place, what I don't know. Anyhow, the way I found to clean up the mess follows. The foam had stuck to the meter itself, and to some of the coils. There was also some of the sticky stuff which got on top of the frequency dial on the paper sticker which shows the frequencies. It had stuck on the window above it too. I cleaned all the coils and the meter up with a spray called Pro-Gold Gx5 made by Caig Laboratories. I sprayed it on paper towels and wiped off the sticky foam gunk. It cleaned this tar type stuff off the paper sticker on the dial without staining it. The coils wiped off easily, so did the windows plexiglass, and painted surfaces. To get the old foam out, I took the case outside and doused the foam with gasoline. It thoroughly took care of it after letting it set for a while, including the old glue that held it in. The gasoline was then cleaned off with the Gx5 spray and paper towels. Anyhow, it sparkled like a newly built dip meter. If you get hold of one of these, this method works to clean it up.

Best & 73's

Will Matney