Re: [Amps] 4CX1500B QSK

To: "Amps Reflector" <amps@contesting.com>,"Mark Hill" <g4fph@mjha.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 4CX1500B QSK
From: Karl-Arne Markström <sm0aom@telia.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 18:48:06 +0100
Hello Mark,

The solution that I would recommend is a grid-block keying circuit
that biases the grid into the cut-off region when the key is up.

This is easy to handle if you drive the grid bias circuit through a source
follower
or a reasonably low-impedance potential divider.

By using a heavy duty FET optoisolator (Clare PLA140) you can switch the
operating point with
a very small delay (a few 100's of microseconds), allowing sequencing circuits
to work properly.

This concept was used a few years ago for QSK-ing a Collins 208U-10 amplifier
that
used a 6S4 cathode follower and a reed relay switching circuit.
The 6S4 was replaced by a 1000V 3A MOSFET source follower, and the reed relay
with the PLA140.

The 208U-10 is somewhat special, in the respect that the screen grid is
directly grounded, the cathode
is then at -1250V respective the screen grid. Consequently the grid bias supply
is floated at -1250 V
and the isolation requirements become quite stringent.

When there are flash-overs in the 4CX10000D, the MOSFET and/or PLA140 sometimes
get vaporized.
Compared to what it used to cost to replace the 6S4, reed relay and 6S4
filament transformer,
the solid state replacement is a bargain.

73/

Karl-Arne
SM0AOM