Re: [Amps] Shunt Feed Tower Issues

To: <yv5mbx@arrl.net>, "Harold B. Mandel" <ka1xo@juno.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Shunt Feed Tower Issues
From: "Barry Kirkwood" <bjk@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 02:30:29 -0000
Would help if you told us abit more about the tower set up.
How much capacity are you using to tune out the reactance?
It may be possible (even easy) to rejig the feedpoint so that you are feeding at a lower impedance point, hence lower voltages.
Think vacuum variable a bit overkill, myself, unless you are amongst the idle rich.
FWIW; I am using 50ft (15m) tower with 20ft (6m) spike to loading wire to make inverted L.
Gamma match at 40ft (12m) with heavy wire, spaced about 1.2m avearage from lattice tower.
Works against 2 elevated 1/4 wave radials.
At 1830 is about 300 ohms, comes to 50 ohms 1:1 with about 300pf series.
Tuning cap English Cyldon 500pf , gap between moving plates approx 5mm (air space is less)
No sign of arc from 2 x 3-500z.
73
Barry

end