Re: [Amps] SB-220 parasitic suppressors

To: Vic Rosenthal <vic@rakefet.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB-220 parasitic suppressors
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 21:56:37 -0800

On Nov 3, 2004, at 2:04 PM, Vic Rosenthal wrote:

One reason that an SB-220 can develop VHF parasitics is the following: the original suppressors use 2-watt carbon composition resistors. These resistors tend to increase in value when they age, and especially when they are heated. If an SB-220 has been used heavily, especially on 10 meters or -- worst case -- on 10 (or 11!) meter AM, the resistors will have gotten quite hot and may have changed significantly in value, or even opened up.

If the resistors are discolored, they should definitely be replaced.

Vic -- The suppressor resistors in my SB-220 toasted during operation on 7MHz. I replaced them with new resistors and they got toasted too. I did the math and there was no way that 7MHz energy should have been able to do that with a 60 or so nH L across each R. I observed that my SB-220 had a slight second-dip in plate-anode current as I tuned through resonance on 40m. These things started me thinking. Several years later I concluded that Murphy's theorem that things are not as simple as they first look is usually true.
Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org