Re: [Amps] A Meeting Ground

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] A Meeting Ground
From: Will Matney <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 17:54:12 -0500
Dennis,

Well they probably would somewhat but I would think the currents in the face plate would be reduced a good degree this way. If the negative from the power supply is attached directly to the chassis pan like most are, the the electrons will flow towards the capacitor, It the wiper lead is attached to the pan, and the current passed it first, they should tend to follow it more. The reason being is there's two mechanical connections between the chassis and the cap through the faceplate. This being the connection from the face plate to the chassis pan and the caps threaded shaft to the faceplate. There is actually another, after the threaded portion, it has to move through the bearing into the rotor plates. On the other hand, there is only one mechanical connection from the chassis to the spider, and one at the wiper to the rotor plates. Also, each mechanical connection will contribute some impedance according to what type it is. I used a soldered connection from the wiper to the chassis. Most mechanical connections where the faceplate attached to the chassis are joined by screws, rivets, etc. or may be spot-welded which would be better in a way. I would think a mechanical joint being soldered or welded would provide the less amount of impedance.

This is one subject I have not seen many studies on, only discussion like we are having. I wonder if any university studies have been performed on the way current flows through chassis grounds and intermix? I have watched distortions and lines of heating in steel from a high currents passed through it while welding or heating, The hottest portion was always a straight path between the electrode and ground. Using a DC current, I imagine an iron powder could be used on the surface to show the lines of flux as on a magnet, I'm not sure on this. I do know in welding, this direction means a good deal because of arc-blow. Anytime an arc is ran towards the direction of the ground, the arc will want to wander from side to side, and back and forward. When this direction is reversed so the arc is moving away from the ground, the arc straightens out.

Best & 73's

Will Matney