Re: [Amps] parasitic LC>load?

To: "Ian White, G3SEK" <g3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Amps] parasitic LC>load?
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 01:40:22 -0800

On Nov 11, 2004, at 11:45 PM, Ian White, G3SEK wrote:

R. Measures wrote:
Been thinking.

If some of these rigs 'want to' go parasitic, would it be beneficial to help them via a broadband VHF resonant circuit that is coupled to the HF RF tank with that VHF LC discharging into a dissipative side-load?

According to a friend who used to work for an amplifier manufacturer, their 100kW MF-HF model had a resistance-wire hoop suspended in the output compartment to dampen the compartment's VHF resonance.

It's a standard technique in amplifiers that have very large (like, walk-in) output compartments, where the cavity resonance could come down to 50-100MHz or even lower. No doubt John Lyles could tell us some stories, if he's around.

On the other hand, the cavity resonances in the output compartments of amateur-sized amplifiers are typically up in the UHF region, and are nothing we'd normally need to worry about.

Interesting, Ian. I have seen a number of Ham amplifiers whose output compartment is larger than a 2m repeater cavity.

But what amazes me is the number of amateur amps (both HB and commercial) that don't even *have* an RF-tight output compartment! The power supply, control wiring, mains wiring and even the RF input circuit are all swimming in RF. And then we wonder where instabilities come from...

But of course, with so many possibilities, how is one to choose which is causing the hitch?

--
73 from Ian G3SEK         'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org