Re: [Amps] Shock hazard?

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Shock hazard?
From: Will Matney <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 21:08:27 -0500
Speaking of transformers, I'm always looking for new-old books on them, and found one of interest to several on here. The title of the book is "Electronic Transformers And Circuits", 2nd edition. It was written by Reuben Lee, copyright 1947 & 1955. The library of congress catalog number is 55-10001. Reuben Lee was an advisory engineer for Westinghouse Electric. The book was written after Hipersil C-cores came out and has good information on them. This is the first book I've found with information on Hipersil cores. The only other that I know of would be old catalogs from Westinghouse. The trade name "Hipersil" is not produced anymore. I'm not sure who bought the name from Westinghouse. Magnetic Metals make the exact type with a different trade name for the steel named Microsil. The two major things to use in transformer formulas using Hypersil steel is the flux density (B) and the stacking factor (K). According to the book, Hipersil has a flux density of 17,000 gausses (17 kilogauss) and a stacking factor of 95. The book discusses the difference between M-15 steel and Hypersil where M-15 is a non-grain oriented steel and Hypersil is a grain oriented. By todays standards, Hypersil is about the same material as M-6. Most transformers using EI cores use anywhere from M-19 to M-15, and M-6 for high efficiency transformers.

The big downer about the book, and it is a dilly, is they don't show one formula for sizing the core! They have every other formula except this one. They reference this by saying one can use experience to determine the size. Of course this is not a good idea and there is three main formulas for calculating the cores cross sectional area. The rest of the information is up to date and good though. To see how to size C-cores, a good book to get is the C-core catalog from Magnetic Metals.

Best & 73's

Will Matney