Re: [Amps] Here's a Shocker

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Here's a Shocker
From: Will Matney <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 01:05:11 -0500
Mike,

The way it was explained to me, nerve transmissions run at a certain frequency and it was a low one. When I had the EMG a while back, they insert a needle deep into a muscle, close to the nerves, with a lead attached. Then a ground patch is placed on the body. When the muscle if fully relaxed, there is no sound from a speaker. When the nerve conducts and sends signals to the muscle making it act, a static would come over the speaker. It would gradually decrease as the muscle relaxed. If the muscle was flexed, the speed and static would increase. This shows whether there's any nervous system damage which works the muscles like from MS, etc. This test is merely an amplified electrical signal that's being generated by the nerve(s) and put across a speaker. If it wasn't an alternating signal, there would be no static sound from the speaker, maybe only a few ticks or so. The frequency is how fast the signal goes to the brain back and forth. I don't know if Doc is reading any of this but he'd probably know about any frequencies, etc. Anyhow, if anyone comes across any information about this, I would like to know.

Best & 73's

Will Matney

Michael Tope wrote:

Seems to me that it is very important here to properly distinguish
between the level of nervous system response (ouch factor) and
the level of tissue damage or bio-function disruption (R.I.P. factor).
In terms of human safety you want the mains operating at a frequency
where the ratio of nervous system response (ouch factor) to bodily
harm (R.I.P. factor) is the highest.

It was my understanding that the average threshold for cardiac
arrest was about 40mA through the chest area. I didn't consider
that it might have a frequency dependence. Or is it just the shock
sensation level (as opposed to the harm level) that has the
frequency dependence?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Turner" <dezrat1242@ispwest.com> To: "John Lawson" <jpl15@panix.com> Cc: <amps@contesting.com>; "Will Matney" <craxd1@ezwv.com> Sent: Monday, November 15, 2004 5:49 PM Subject: Re: [Amps] Here's a Shocker