Re: [Amps] Re: Step-start calculation

To: Dennis12Amplify@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Re: Step-start calculation
From: jeff millar <wa1hco@adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 14:10:17 -0500
Dennis...

A transformer has inductance when open circuit, but when something's connected to its secondary, that impedance get transferred to the primary by the square of the turns ratio. So, when the transformer runs open circuit, a nearly infinite impedance gets transferred to the primary and it draw little current. When a transformer has a a load such as a resistor or discharged capacitor, then the primary impedance depends on the winding resistances, turns ratio and coupling coeficient. For most transformers one can model the coupling as perfect.

jeff, wa1hco