Re: [Amps] vacuum relay failure

To: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] vacuum relay failure
From: Vic Rosenthal <vic@rakefet.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 08:36:08 -0800
Pete Smith wrote:

I have replacement relays on the way, but would like to tap the experience on the list -- does this sound like just contact failure, or might there be something else in play? Is it logical to consider a possible causal relationship between the output and input relay failures, or just coincidence? I should mention that the Hi-G is only rated at 75 watts CCS, so it probably doesn't have too much headroom for a typical 100-watt driving signal.

How do you know that the input relay wasn't the one that was failing in the first place? If either relay fails, you get no output.

I would expect that if the output relay failed, the SWR seen at the input to the amp would increase, since the amp would not be properly loaded (understatement). So that might damage the input relay.

For what it's worth the vacuum QSK relay failures (Kilovac HC-1 or Jennings equivalent) that I have have first manifested themselves as loss of received signal.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco