Re: [Amps] Advice on instruments for ham use

To: k7fm <k7fm@teleport.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Advice on instruments for ham use
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 07:42:21 -0800

On Nov 25, 2004, at 7:15 AM, k7fm wrote:

Even the old tubed Tek 530-540 series are quite useful, although big and
bulky.

The 547 is a gem.

They are now available for the labor of carrying them away. They
are easy to work on, although frequency limited. Although I have many newer
scopes, I still love to turn on the old classics. Heck, when my friends
tell me it is either me or the dump, I jump on these suckers.

Regarding digital scopes. I have one. I live near Tek and have a number of
friends who work there. They all use analog scopes and ask why I got a
digital scope.

The scope I have above my work bench is an old Tek 454A. It may be the last
of the user (somewhat easily) repairable scopes.

Next to my scope is a Tek 2710 spectrum analyzer. That is a joy to use. If
you have a lot of spare change around, buy yourself a nice spectrum analyzer
for Christmas.

- - Spectrum analyzers are ideal for observing the VHF anode-circuit ringing that takes place in All HF amplifiers whenever the anode-current increases or decreases. To see this phenomenon: Keep the pick-up probe a safe distance from the anode, and send a string of dits with a keyer.

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org