RE: [Amps] mounting 3CX3000A7 Horizontally

To: AMPS <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [Amps] mounting 3CX3000A7 Horizontally
From: Bill Fuqua <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 12:12:13 -0500

OOPS,,,, I should have waited until I got into some bright light and opened the Plasma generator up.
I was looking thru a grill in the back of this thing in a dark warehouse at the time. The tube appeared much larger than it was.
It is a 4CX1000 or 1500.
The EIMAC tube number was removed but I am sure that is what it is. And it is grid driven by a single miniature
tube on a plug-in circuit board ( obviously the amp is neutralized) which appears to be a crystal oscillator.

So it seems that this will be the perfect qrp to qro amplifier. And the tube is mounted horizontally which is just fine.
It has a nice vacuum variable in the tank circuit and one of those National RF chokes various sizes of coils on it.
I think I'll see what I can do with this one. It has a heck of a large plate transformer in it.
This is an improvement over the smaller IPC plasma generators that used 4 parallel 8072 with finned heat sinks attached.
Everyone of those I have gotten has had fried tubes and burnt sockets in it.

You know, I could just use my HG10B VFO and make a neat 20 Meter CW transmitter.

73
Bill wa4lav