[Amps] Need info on adding WARC bands to an old HB 4-1000A amp

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Need info on adding WARC bands to an old HB 4-1000A amp
From: John Becker <johnb3030@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 09:13:45 -0600
I'm new to this list, and I apologize if this has been asked before, but I didn't find what I needed in searching the list archives.

I have a HB 4-1000A amp, covering 80-10, which I built in 1969 from a design in the Radio Handbook. I only have a Xerox of the article, so I'm not sure which edition of the handbook it was in. The title of the article is "The Utility 2 Kilowatt PEP (U-2) Linear Amplifier".

I want to put this amp on the WARC bands, but I've heard that the B&W 800 plate choke is self-resonant somewhere close to 12M, and is likely to go up in smoke if I try to tune-up on that band. Is this true? If so, what solutions have been found to be effective? Thanks!

73,

John, K9MM