Re: [Amps] Current draw at 110 volts

To: g8gsq@ic24.net
Subject: Re: [Amps] Current draw at 110 volts
From: "Harold B. Mandel" <ka1xo@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 01:01:42 -0500
Gents,

If you do have a service drop bringing in three wires that measure
220/240 over a Neutral there is a solution without bashing the walls
in.

Since I couldn't remodel my home for 220 service in the walls to my
operating area I simply went to the electric distributor and purchased
a sizeable length of 10/2 AWG SO-type cord (with ground) and ran a new
240 vac and 120 vac set of "extension cords" from my service panel
to the shack.

At the service panel I installed a small breaker box along side the
panel and hard-wired four  4 AWG THHN leads from the
distribution buss to the sub-panel, and then installed three
new circuit breakers, a dual-pole 30 amp and two single pole
20 amp. At the bottom of the sub-panel are two flexible cord
retainers (chinese finger-cuff type Kellem-Grips) that restrain
the SO cords going to the shack.

At the shack I installed a NEMA 6P-30 type 250 volt, 30 ampere
twist-lock cord receptacle on the 240 volt cord and a 5P-30 type
120 volt, 30 amp twist-lock cord receptacle on the 120 volt cord.

This way, 240 volt appliances can't connect to the 120 extension
cords and similarly, 120 volt stuff can't connect to the 240 line.

The twist-lock receptacles all have cord plugs with appropriate
distribution octopi for all the appliances, and what's neat is that
I can simply unhook the cords and coil them up in the laundry
room if I need to get them out of the way.

The whole shebang was less than 300 bucks and took Saturday
and Sunday, and the only holes in the wall attached the sub panel.

Respectfully,

Hal Mandel
W4HBM