Re: [Amps] fl2100F

To: "carl seyersdahl" <carlseye@tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] fl2100F
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 01:43:57 -0800

On Dec 8, 2004, at 4:55 PM, carl seyersdahl wrote:

I've had two answers on this and I now see what the problem is.!!!
There seems to have been numerous amps , using a pair of 572B's (various
mfrs.) None of these were perfect, BUT , some better than others.
I've repaired some of these amps, mostly SB 200's , and with a little
"modern" application of parts, etc, most have worked quite well.!!!
However: The Heathkits mostly didn't have the 160 band, so I keep wondering
about it.!!!

Hello, Carl -- When the SB-200 and SB220 were introduced, it was not legal to use QRO at night on 160m because of LORAN, so it was deemed unnecessary to have 160m coverage on amplifiers.

But I think the biggest problem is the HF end ( as in 10meters).!!!

Indeed.

Seems to me there were always those who could "invent" new mistakes in
these amps.!!!...
One problem was that HF amplifier designers used to ignore Feedback-C because it was insignificant at HF. However, since the tubes we used (other than the 813) had significant gain at VHF, and All HF/MF amplifiers have a VHF resonance in their anode circuit, this turned out to be a mistake,

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org