Re: [Amps] INRUSH

To: DF3KV <df3kv@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] INRUSH
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 14:27:55 -0800

On Dec 26, 2004, at 1:37 PM, DF3KV wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Harold B. Mandel" <ka1xo@juno.com> To: <dpipes@earthlink.net> Cc: <Amps@contesting.com> Sent: Sunday, December 26, 2004 10:02 PM Subject: [Amps] INRUSH
The Inrush Protector product you mention in your previous post is
exactly
the ticket.

I just finished a commercial television transmitter repair job
where the owners have replaced 300+ diodes in the last
quarter and were becoming frantic. The 46KW UHF
station had no inrush protection scheme for the Anode
Supply (3-Phase, 480V, 15KV @ 12 amperes).

It took a Crouzet Timer, a P&B 30-amp control relay
and 2 Square-D 100 amp contactors with twelve 400 watt,
6.8 ohm resistors to solve. The resistors don't even
get hot when she steps and no more blown diodes.

By the way, the filter is 2 units of 194uF @ 30KV
and weigh around 200 pounds each.

in my opinion the filter bank is too much oversized for a 3-phase powersupply even when no bridge rectifier is used and that caused the problem with the diodes.

I agree. Also:
1. If step-start resistors do not get moderately hot during start-up, they are over-sized.
2. 30kV filter caps in a 12kV supply are not logical.

With a commercial tv transmitter I would expect it being on the air
around the clock with rare occasions were the power supply is being
switched

73
Peter

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org