[Amps] 3-500Z socket types

To: <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 3-500Z socket types
From: W2RU - Bud Hippisley <W2RU@frontiernet.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 19:34:43 +0000
I have a very early Amp Supply Co. LK-550 which uses three 3-500Zs.  I have had
recurring problems with getting all three bottles to "light up" when I power
up.  The problem appears to be excessive resistance at the junction of the
filament pins and tube sockets.  The ceramic sockets in this rig have a
removable spring clip at each of the five tube pins, and I have re-bent some of
these for temporary relief.  But getting underneath the aluminum platform the
tube sockets are mounted on is a real hassle, and I risk damaging the plate
choke each time I do it.

Is there a different type of socket for the 3-500Z that I could install?
Otherwise, my next step may be to solder the tube filament pins directly to the
filament choke leads....:-)

Tnx & 73 -- Bud, W2RU