Re: [Amps] KW Rated Low Pass Filter Caps?

To: kd4e@verizon.net
Subject: Re: [Amps] KW Rated Low Pass Filter Caps?
From: Vic Rosenthal <vic@rakefet.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 08:52:53 -0800
doc wrote:

1.  Are the Micas likely to have drifted significantly in
value over time?

Measure the values.

2. Is 2,500V a sufficient rating for this application?

The voltage rating is more than adequate, but the current rating is what is important here. I think that a 2500V mica cap is most likely adequate in this respect also.

3.  Are series-stacked Ceramic Disk caps of the same value
(e.g. four 100pF caps for a 4KV rating) a good alternative
to achieve high power handling capacity?

I would say no, because they will not handle as much current without heating up. And I have found that even the doorknob-type ceramic caps are not good in this application. The problem is that the higher-value ceramics usually have N750 temperature coefficients, and they just take off as they warm up.

4.  Are Micas and Ceramics of the same capacitance, voltage
rating, and tolerance % equivalent components in this app?

No, because of the current ratings.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco