Re: [Amps] ok ONE more time <g> Ameritron 811H

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] ok ONE more time <g> Ameritron 811H
From: Will Matney <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2005 21:21:35 -0500
Dan,

There grid resistors are there to actually work as a fuse which will open if an internal arc in the tube occurs (anode to grid). Most likely the resistor had failed some time back and was probably broke or cracked. This was making the arc that you seen. Finally the resistor gave way and failed completely. I would just change them out with new ones on each tube. There's squirlley reasons for this internal arc but I wouldn't worry too much about that. The main thing is just replacing the resistors with the same size. You will want non-inductive resistors here of course. I'd say that this will cure your problem.

Will