Re: [Amps] OT: Relay questions

To: "John [ N5BSD ]" <n5bsd@rblprd.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] OT: Relay questions
From: Vic Rosenthal <vic@rakefet.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 09:47:08 -0800
John [ N5BSD ] wrote:

I am attempting to locate sealed or enclosed coax relays
To try and build a switching system for my station

I built an antenna switch using open frame relays. It is in a metal box and uses copper strap for connections. It works quite well at 1.5 KW on HF. I connected an accurate dummy load (I used an Ethernet terminator) to the output and an antenna analyzer to the input to check the SWR and found that it was flat up to 10 MHz, increasing slightly on the higher bands. I found that adding a very small capacitor from the relay bus to ground (in my case, 8 pf) reduced the SWR on 28 MHz to an almost unmeasurable value.

I would definitely recommend this approach, as it is much cheaper and simpler than using coaxial relays!

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco