RE: [BULK] - Re: [Amps] AL-80B mods?

To: 'Vic Rosenthal' <vic@rakefet.com>, Charlie <ad5th@direcway.com>
Subject: RE: [BULK] - Re: [Amps] AL-80B mods?
From: Steve Katz <stevek@jmr.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 13:59:49 -0800

> My new AL-80B will be here in a few days and I wonder if like the 811H
> there are some "must have" mods?  Anything from Measures on this amp? TY

There are no 'must haves'.  A soft start mod is nice because it will
eliminate
the thump on startup and possibly make the on-off switch last longer.  A QSK
mod
is nice because it will permit CW break in and SSB VOX operation without hot

switching.  I myself wouldn't change the factory parasitic suppressor.

::Stock AL-80B already has a soft-start of sorts (series resistor shorted by
a relay several cycles after turn-on), there's not much strain on the power
switch and no turn-on thump. -WB2WIK/6

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco