Re: [Amps] Advice on how to work this thing...

To: "Chris Howard" <chris@yipyap.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Advice on how to work this thing...
From: "Bob Good" <k4bg@planters.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 23:19:09 -0500
To: "Bob Good" <k4bg@planters.net>
Sent: Friday, January 07, 2005 10:08 PM

Thanks Bob!

That's exactly the kind of help I need.

One question from what you've said so far...

You said you saw a variable capacitor in the plate tank.
I can't find it.  I see the neutralizing cap(s) but I don't
see any other capacitors connected to the plate.   You lost me
on that one.

I think I understand about the swinging link and the balanced
antenna  transmission line.  My main antenna is a horizontal loop
fed with 300 ohm TV twin-lead.

The driver to this PA is a circuit with a 4-125 tube in it.
I'm not sure if that would count as a balanced input to the PA.
(This thing was on the air in times past, so I'm operating from the
assumption that "as built" will actually work.)

It sounds like I need to make a good-guess on the tank coils
before firing anything up.  Will a grid-dip be useful there?

Thanks for pointing out the meaning of that 'C' and 'B' on
that switch!  I wondered what that was about.  For AM, I think
I generally want to use 'C', right?

Maximum grid current... that sounds familiar.  My experience
with tube-final transceivers has me dipping the plate and
peaking the grid.  Plate, Load, Grid, maybe I'll be able to
do this!  There are some pots in the exciter deck, so maybe one of
those is a drive adjuster of some sort.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about the neutralizing too.

And one other thing:  A guy has offered me some 250TL tubes
instead of the 250TH.  I see the grid voltage is different,
will that work?

I have ARRL Handbook and the Bill Orr Handbook from 1960.
But neither have a swinging link in them.  I think I'll
keep an eye out for some older books.  Any suggestion in
that regard?

Thanks very much, you are making me much more confident.

Chris
kc0atc
Estes Park, CO