Re: [Amps] g-g amps

To: "carl seyersdahl" <carlseye@tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] g-g amps
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 00:29:24 -0800

On Jan 9, 2005, at 4:28 PM, carl seyersdahl wrote:

Is there anything to be gained or lost when it comes to grounding the
grid(s) directly as opposed to using chokes or (fuse) resistors.?? The SB220
measures grid current thru a .82 ohm resistor from cathode (fil) to gnd , as
opposed to the SB200 which measures grid current via the voltage drop across
a 1.5 ohm resistor in series with the bias supply/relay supply.!!!
I've often wondered about the reason for the different approaches.(the 220
uses chokes to gnd , vs the 200's 33 ohm resistors and capacitors to gnd for
RF.
Is one inherently better or safer than the other??

To find out which is better, try grounding only one of the three grid pins on a 3-500Z though a Cu strap, measure the grid-resonance freq., and repeat with one grid pin grounded through a 200pF capacitor. When I did this test, the grid-resonance was pretty close to the same freq. either way, and roughly 20MHz lower in freq. than where 3-500Zs are known to be able to occasionally oscillate. Thus, my guess is that there will not be much difference in VHF stability either way. (note-- grounding more than one grid pin at a time will produce additional resonances between the pins that confuse the issue)
- The safest way to DC-ground a grid is through an instrument-fuse or a frangible-R.

cheers, Carl

carl / kz5ca

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org