Re: [Amps] Re: L networks

To: g3sek@ifwtech.co.uk ("Ian White, G3SEK"), amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Re: L networks
From: G3rzp@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 10:47:57 -0500
G3SEK said:

>But just because an ideal transformer can match impedances >with an even lower
>loaded Q, we cannot automatically assume >the same will be true for the
>link-coupled windings in a >typical Matchbox.

The matchbox does end up with variable Q, especially when you get a reactive
component. Link coupling really needs a tight coupling so that hopefully the
leakage reactance is minimised. This usually means few turns, tightly coupled.
the Z match does the same, and under some loads, gets enough circulating
current such that at 400 watts, the solder melts and the coils drop off - at
least, in the KW one.

And yes, I did leave Zverev behind......

73

Peter G3RZP