Re: [Amps] Henry Radio

To: "donii@sympatico.ca" <donii@sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Henry Radio
From: David Kirkby <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 00:49:03 +0000
donii@sympatico.ca wrote:

I heard the other day that many Magnetic Resonance medical devices use tube type linears.
Peter VE2FAR

The Institute of Neurology in London <http://www.ion.ucl.ac.uk/>

has one of the largest MRI systems in the world. <http://www.ion.ucl.ac.uk/>

I can't recall the field strength, but there is *nothing* stronger in the world that can take a whole human body, although there is another of identical strength in the USA. <http://www.ion.ucl.ac.uk/>

There are bigger MRI scanners that can take horses (with smaller field strengths), and smaller MRI scanners (with larger field strengths, that can take small animals) but there is no bigger scanner for people. I don't know what the current spatial resolution of that system is, but last I knew they were achieving 0.3mm, which is limited by how still you can keep a human being. <http://www.ion.ucl.ac.uk/>

That scanner I know uses solid state amps. Here's the guy who heads the physics of the magnet
http://www.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/research-groups/mri_new/Roger%20Ordidge.htm#Position

I don't know the power of the amplifiers, but I do know they are solid state.

MRI is not my field of expertise, but I suspect new model will use solid state amps.

It's a bit of a shame really, as while hams can build big amps with one tube they find surplus, they are most unlikly to find a matched set of semiconductors on the surplus market.

The Pf^2R law will start to really hit hams at higher frequencies and powers.

I sometimes wonder if children will be able to build circuts as easily as I did as a kid (I'm 41). With most new ICs + semiconductors now only available in surface mount, it's not going to be as easy to build small projects. Wherease I could make my own PCB's as a kid, that is no longer going to be possible. And you need microscopes to assemble them.

--
Dr. David Kirkby, G8WRB

Please check out http://www.g8wrb.org/ of if you live in Essex http://www.southminster-branch-line.org.uk/