Re: [Amps] Choices for valve linear project 1st timer!

To: Amps Reflector <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Choices for valve linear project 1st timer!
From: Mark Hill <g4fph@mjha.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 09:19:30 +0000
Simon,

Apologies, I sent my reply (below) direct to you and not via the reflector. It just might be of interest to someone else.

Ian 'SEK has given the correct reference for the Russian valve site I was trying to remember. Modesty however prevents Ian from telling you that he also makes a well engineered bias/control board suitable for most any RF power triode, GS-31 included. More details, including the manual for the 'Triode Board' that contains lots you should know when embarking on a first amp. project, may be found at:

http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek/boards/triode/triode-1.htm

I have looked at the other references for a design that you quote in your original post. I personally would not advocate using transformers out of old microwave ovens unless novelty is a prime design goal. Peter Rodmell at Linear Amp UK would I'm sure be pleased to sell you some 'off the shelf' parts to help get you off the ground quickly. Take a look under components at:

http://www.lauk.karoo.net/

Whatever you do, do it safely and get good quality (and cross-checked) advice - there's plenty available from the contributors to this reflector.

Regards.

Mark.

Simon,

My advice would be to go for a 'KISS' design with a single Russian GS-31 (or GS-35) valve in grounded grid. The valves are cheap; there's no expensive base to buy; the heater requirements are easily satisfied; the list of plusses goes on and I'm struggling to think of any negatives!

For a first PA (any PA!) multiple valves are a hassle, metalwork can be a hassle and tetrodes are definitely a hassle, as for them, you would need to build screen and bias supplies, plus an amount of protection in case of 'accidents'. In my opinion, the era of the 4CX250 is well and truly over. There are far better, cheaper alternatives now (such as the Russian 4CX800 if you must use a tetrode) and for an HF linear, using a valve with loads of gain at VHF can turn into a struggle.

Type 'QRO via Russia' or similar into Google and you will find a website full of ideas.

I well remember the 'JST 4CX250 design. Still have the article I think. I remember thinking at the time that the design, whilst somewhat innovative, was not one that I personally would be happy to commend to a public audience.

Regards.

Mark.