[Amps] Amplifier$ [TSPA]

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Amplifier$ [TSPA]
From: "John T. M. Lyles" <jtml@lanl.gov>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 16:37:59 -0700
I was reading the postings about $3600 for an amplifier, and i thought of the same thing, what about the venerable SB220s of which there are many many specimens out there, some of which could use a little TLC and elbow grease and maybe a few mods to bring them up to current design standards? I think i invested about $200 for mine 10 years ago, and put another $50 in parts and some weekends of labor in, and it stands up against units costing 10X what i paid. OK so it might be a dB less on the S meter at the far end than an 8877 or 4CX1600.

On a similar note, i picked up a fairly nice specimen of a DX100 (1957 classic Heapkit AM rig, 160-10, VFO'd) last weekend for nothing, and after some cleaning and recapping. I love this hobby sometimes.

73
John
K5PRO

Amen, Bob, and the laugher is that the hoity-toity critics of the
SB-220 are pretty clueless about its design advantages.  Anybody who is
getting along in years should consider purchasing a double-wide coffin
so that there's plenty of room for the cherished SB-220 and a case of
Jack Daniels Black Label.

cheerz

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org

Expanding on W9GE's list, here's what I've come up with over the years as to why I might want a newer amp:

1. I want to run the amplifier on 160.
2. I want to run an amplifier on the WARC bands (that allow it) with reasonable tank circuit efficiency.
3. I want the built-in QSK of some of the newer amps.
4. I want to automate the band-switching of the amplifier (for instance, to make sure it's always on the same band as myr transceiver or exciter when I hit the key or the PTT switch).
5. I am bothered by the fact that older amplifiers in the USA were designed against an FCC 1KW CW INPUT limit (versus today's 1.5KW OUTPUT limit).

If none of the above are of concern, a Heath SB-220 is excellent value, in the US$500 - 700 range the last time I looked. I'm sure there are many other brands and models, too -- I just happen to be real familiar with the SB-220, since I still use one.

Bud, W2RU