[Amps] Fusing the Plate winding

To: Mail List for Amplifiers <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Fusing the Plate winding
From: "Jim Isbell, W5JAI" <jim.isbell@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 16:56:02 -0600
I am in the final steps of designing and building a linear to
supplement my station om 160 thru 10 Meters.  The chassis is being
built at this time and I will soon be mounting parts.

It is a single 4-1000A running GG with a plate supply that is
switchable in steps from 3KV to 6KV.  The transformer is a 12KVA
transformer which will obviously be able to handle 2 amps on the
secondary winding.  I will be using a pair of VT-42A Mercury vapor
rectifiers.

Yes, I know there are "better" ways of doing it, but none would be
prettier.  This is to be an amp capable of full amateur legal limit
that will be a JOY TO WATCH. not just an appliance.

OK, the questions.

I have heard from very good authority that the mercury vapor
rectifiers might short on occasion and that the secondary of my plate
transformer would probably "fuse" just as fast (or even faster) as a
FB 1 amp fuse in the plate lead.

The first question.  If I don't need a fuse any bigger than 1/2 amp
and the secondary is rated for 2 amps.  Will I be safe from blowing
the transformer?

The second question.  If the above answer is NO, is there any circuit
I can build that will protect the transformer?

I would sure hate to leave off the glow of a pair of VT-42As to light
the inside of the chassis around my 4-1000A which will be behind a
window.  This is art now, not engineering, and I sure like that purple
glow.

--
Jim Isbell
W5JAI