[Amps] Removing enamel insulation?

To: <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Removing enamel insulation?
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 13:47:37 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
Joe Subich wrote:

> Does anyone have a good way to remove enamel (Formvar?) from thin wires?

>The usual way it's done with 'modern' enameled wire (possibly not >Formvar)
is by
>dipping it in molten solder.  A solder pot or the nose of a Hakko 808
>desoldering tool works well.  Lacking these, a blob on a normal soldering
>iron
>works.  You touch the end of the wire to the iron to the tip to help
transfer
>heat, and then you slowly move the blob along the wire toward the toroid.

Vic, that's only good for sodereze wire. Sodereze has a low insulation
melting point made for low voltage work and or low heat work. You can get
that kind of wire from Radio Shack and other places. Formvar and others
require a tool to remove it with. The industrial strippers for this use two
wire brush wheels meshed together and turning in opposite directions. You
stick the wire in the two brush wheels and it abrades the insulation off.
Those are expensive though. The small hand stripper is the best bet for low
volume work like I use. If I can find one, I'll post the link to it.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco

Best,