Re: [Amps] Removing enamel insulation?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Removing enamel insulation?
From: "Steve Thompson" <g8gsq@ic24.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 19:07:09 -0000
Joe Subich wrote:
> Does anyone have a good way to remove enamel (Formvar?) from thin
> wires? Scraping/sanding works fine for large wires but doesn't work
> too well for thin wires.
I'm trying to remember my early days with crystal sets, using recovered wire
from transformers - I think it was before self fluxing wire became the norm.
I used to use a flame, then clean up with wire wool or a scouring pad. For
very fine wire I used to dip it in alcohol and burn it off so there wasn't
enough heat to damage the wire itself.

Recently I saw a neat tool for cleaning component leads, which might work
with varnish - jaws made from something springy bent in a 'V' with a piece
of  heavy duty braid on the inside faces. Close it on the wire with finger
pressure and draw it off.

Steve