Re: [Amps] [AMPS] Re: FL-2100B Failure

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] [AMPS] Re: FL-2100B Failure
From: "Joe Subich, K4IK" <k4ik@subich.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 18:10:09 -0500
Kevin writes:

> with respect to the burning on the plate choke: yup it's only
> in certain areas.  So the comments about vhf parasitics are
> probably right on, if that's a key indicator.
>
> The 22 ohm suppressor R's physically looked okay, but I'll
> be sure to measure them.

These two observations point not to parasitics but an attempt
to operate the amplifier on a band for which it was not designed
perhaps 17, 12 or 11 meters.  Burning in certain areas of the
plate choke indicates high voltage at that point, probably due
to a resonance.  That often happens to older amplifiers not
designed with "WARC" band operation in mind.

Some very good examples are the MLA-2500 which had a resonance
near the 17 meter band and the Alpha 76 series of amplifiers
that intentionally had a choke resonance around 25 MHz which,
while it prevented operation on 11 meters, happens to prevent
the amplifier from being used on 12 meters.

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK