Re: [Amps] Is ALC necessary

To: cqki8fh@juno.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Is ALC necessary
From: "Bill L. Fuqua" <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 23:41:31 -0500
ALC helps prevent over driving which causes splatter. It you don't drive your
amplifier close to maximum output  and you are sure that you will be clipping
on voice peaks or  your amplifier has lots of head room then ALC is not
necessary.
    In fact if you can set the transceiver's internal ALC such that you are
sure that you will not over drive the amplifier it should be ok as well.
    It is just an extra precaution to prevent splatter. This makes hams good
neighbors on the bands. Kind of like "good fences makes good neighbors".

73
Bill wa4lav