Re: [Amps] close to off topic - how to read antenna R + jX ??

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] close to off topic - how to read antenna R + jX ??
From: Ian White G3SEK <G3SEK@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 09:58:24 +0000
Steve Thompson wrote:

>G3SEK wrote:
>> I used to have one too, but let mine go after building N2PK's
>> 50kHz-60MHz Vector Network Analyser.
>The N2PK thing is very nice, but for those who aren't familiar with the
>kit, the HP 8405 VVM goes up to 1000MHz.

Fair point (though with decreasing accuracy).

One point that has emerged from N2PK's work is that the 60MHz sweep
range of the basic instrument can be shifted upward to any higher
frequency by using a 'transverter'. This looks a lot like a conventional
high-performance transverter for VHF/UHF/microwave DXing.

For impedance measurements, you connect a suitable VHF/UHF/microwave
bridge to the I/O ports of the transverter, and then away you go. The
open-short-load calibration is done at the signal frequency, so the
transverter is inside the error-correction loop. It's making the error
correction work harder, of course, but the basic power of the instrument
is still there.

--
73 from Ian G3SEK         'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek