Re: [Amps] AL80B Tube?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] AL80B Tube?
From: gdaught6@stanford.edu
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 14:54:50 -0800
On 4 Mar 2005 at 14:42, R.Measures wrote:

> Hello, Brad -- My guess is that the tube has an intermittent fil-grid
> short since neg grid-I is what typically results when such a short
> occurs.

I agree.  But the problem MIGHT not be in the tube.  I once
encountered an amp with exactly these symptoms, but even trying a
couple of good tubes didn't help.  Eventually, I found a little
solder whisker or blob at one end of the filament choke that would
sometimes short (the filament) to the chassis.  A few seconds with
the slobbering iron cured the problem completely.

Other times it most certainly WAS the tube.  I'm just suggesting
another place to look.

73,

George T. Daughters, K6GT