[Amps] mobile amp

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] mobile amp
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 00:33:39 -0500
I had to tell about what I'd found for several reasons here. I got to looking
and found that they still make the old 6 and 12 Vdc 3 and 4 pin vibrators. I
recon theyre still making some new sockets for them too. Now if anyone would
like to do a small mobile tube project, this would be a way to go like back in
the 40's. They'll also go right in place on the old ones for repairs. I seen
they're still around and thought of a small single sweep tube amp or something
using a audio output type just playing around. Heck, they're making 6146B's yet
at the cheap, about 16-17 bux a piece. Now they wont hold much current, I think
maybe 10 amps max so about 120 watts would be pusing one. But, if your looking
for a small project to just pass the time and want to work with some smaller
tubes, that would be an idea. One could use the vibrator to switch several
heavy transistors on and off using a small driver transformer between it and
the transistors. This would get you out of having to ha
 ve a transformer made for this with a tickler winding on it. Just use a 24 Vdc
C.T. for the primary and the 120 Vac end for the HV secondary. This could be
made into a doubler too and get about +336 Vdc for the plates. Just an idea if
somebody would like to tinker some on their past time.

The new vibrators are at Antique Electronics. Here is a link to the catalog
page for them in pdf;

http://www.tubesandmore.com/images/AES04-039.pdf

Best,

Will