Re: [Amps] AL-80B unusual plate current behavior

To: Rick and Theresa Low <n6cy@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] AL-80B unusual plate current behavior
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 04:01:55 -0800

On Mar 8, 2005, at 1:34 AM, Rick and Theresa Low wrote:

Several times in the past week Iâ•˙ve observed unusual behavior from this single 3-500Z amplifier and need to know if this looks like the tube is about to go belly up on me, or if there is some circuit factor thatâ•˙s causing this behavior:

1. First turn on, plate current indicates about 200-250 mA without amplifier going into transmit mode.

My guess is a filament to grid short since 250mA on standby sounds like 0v bias and it's normally c. 25v on Standby. I would test the grid-fil BD voltage with a high-pot to find out what's what. .

I turn ON with the standby switch in STBY. Stays this way for about 3 to 5 seconds, then zero current.

2. At seemingly random times during T/R operation, plate current meter shows same 200-250 mA, input circuit shows HI SWR on the driver rig, and of course, no RF output. Cannot clear by cycling T/R relay---PTT. I turn off, wait about 10 seconds minimum, then turn on and get the same ╲First turn on╡ behavior above.

De Rick I0/N6CY Gaeta IT JN61sf

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org