Re: [Amps] re. nylons

To: Tony King - W4ZT <amps@w4zt.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] re. nylons
From: Tomm Aldridge <KD7QAE@ARRL.NET>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 06:22:28 +0000
No, it is a ceramic product.  We have it over here in the states too.
MACOR®
Machinable Glass Ceramic

     * Is MACHINABLE with ordinary metal working tools
     * Allows FAST TURNAROUND. No post firing required
     * Holds TIGHT TOLERANCES, up to .0005"
     * Withstands HIGH TEMPERATURES, up to 1000oC (no load)
     * Is CLEAN, no outgasing and zero porosity.

With MACOR Machinable Glass Ceramic (MGC), fabrication is fast because
it can be machined into complicated shapes and precision parts with
ordinary metal working tools, quickly and inexpensively, and it requires
no post firing after machining. That means no frustrating delays, no
expensive hardware, no post fabrication shrinkage, and no costly diamond
tools to meet specifications.

Properties

MACOR® Machinable Glass Ceramic has a continuous use temperature of
800oC and a peak temperature of 1000oC. Its coefficient of thermal
expansion readily matches most metals and sealing glasses. It is
nonwetting, exhibits zero porosity, and unlike ductile materials, won't
deform. It is an excellent insulator at high voltages, various
frequencies, and high temperatures. When properly baked out, it won't
outgas in vacuum environments.

Machining

Machining tolerances are surprisingly tight, up to .0005". It can be
machined to a surface finish of less that 20µin. and polished to a
smoothness of 0.5µin.-Ra. Configurations are limited only by available
equipment and the experience of the machinist.
  etc.

 From http://www.morganadvancedceramics.com/materials/macor.htm

Tomm