Re: [Amps] Measuring RF Power

To: Bill Fuqua <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Measuring RF Power
From: Gary Schafer <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 17:37:36 -0500
As an additional note it is interesting that 120 volts DC on that same
light bulb gives the same 100 watt power as the average AC power.

The statement that you often see, "RMS has the same heating effect as
DC" gets people confused.
Where most go wrong with the relationship is that widely used statement
is referring to RMS voltage or current verses DC voltage or current. Not
power.

If you read the statement closely in most books it will say something
like: " a given RMS voltage (or RMS current) through a resistor will
cause the same amount of heating as the same DC voltage (or current)
through the same resistor". It does not say RMS power.

We know that DC volts has to give us average power. So then must the RMS
voltage.

73
Gary  K4FMX