[Amps] Fw: Ham Radio Story

To: "Amps List" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Fw: Ham Radio Story
From: "Gary Smith" <wa6fgi@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 08:16:52 -0800
A bit OT, but it is both friday and funny

73,
Gary... wa6fgi

       Subject: Ham Radio Story

 A 'seasoned' ham,  age 80 is visiting the doctor for
 his annual physical. The doctor says: "I'm amazed at
 your good shape,  what's your secret?" The OM
 replies:  "Well Doc, it's like this.   I'm a ham
 operator who likes Morse Code, and that keeps me
 young.   I get up well before dawn every day  for
 some early morning high-speed Morse code
 conversations with operators around the country -
 that keeps my mind sharp.   Then I generally putter
 around my workshop building projects, which keeps my
 fingers and arms limber and wards off arthritis.
 In the afternoon,  I  often climb my antenna tower
 for adjustments, or move heavy  radio equipment
 around, which gives me plenty of exercise.   At
 night, I like to read technical  books and magazines
 which soothe my eyes, and when I'm finished, I sleep
 great." The Doctor says: "That's amazing;  how old
 was your Dad when he died?" The OM replies: "Died!?"
 Who said anything about Dad dying?   He's a spry man
 of 99, he's also a ham operator, and in fact, this
 morning I had my usual  Morse code conversation with
 him and he's doing fine." Now the Doctor is really
 impressed.  "Well, how old was your Grandfather when
 he died?" The OM replies:  "Died!?"   Who said
 anything about  Grandpa dying?   He's 118 and...."
 Now the Doctor is getting  a bit exasperated: "Don't
 tell me, he was on the air with you this morning
 also..." OM: "Actually Doc, he usually is, but this
 morning he got married.": Doc: "Got married?  Why on
 earth would a man of 118 want to get married?" OM:
 "Want to!?"  Who said anything about Grandpa wanting to?...."