Re: [Amps] Bird Element Calibration?

To: G3rzp@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Bird Element Calibration?
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 01:07:31 -0800
On Mar 26, 2005, at 12:13 AM, G3rzp@aol.com wrote:

> I don't think there's a lot of disagreement between G8WRB and myself.
> We
> seem both to be very dubious about the accuracy of using an
> oscilloscope, and
> recognise the problems with calorimeters. Incidentally, at Marconi's
> the power
> was measured with a water cooled resistor: it was about a 50 watt
> resistor in
> air, and if you got a bubble in the water, at 30kW, it died 'just like
> that!'. I  suspect you really need a constant head apparatus, which at
> gallons per
> minute  is possibly but not necessarily wasteful, and messy.
>
> And for amateur purposes, for 99% of the time a Bird 43 is good enough
> anyway!

The other 1% of the time is when  the FCC comes a knockin' and they
bring their own digital PEP wattmeter.  In actual practice, I know of
two cases where the FCC measured well over 1500w-pep and did not cite
the amateur because they found that the station was not a source of
RFI.
-  One of the curiosities of this discussion is that no Bird 43
disciple seems to have knowledge of the calibration procedure with
which Bird calibrates wattmeters at the factory.