[Amps] Bird 'H' series inserts: Performance on 160

To: Amps Reflector <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Bird 'H' series inserts: Performance on 160
From: Mark Hill <g4fph@mjha.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 12:45:25 +0100
Folks,

Well I sat back and enjoyed (most of) the thread about RF power
measurement.  I thank David for his mathematical derivation of RMS
power.  I cannot think of a use for it either, but note that it is quoted
in many places.  I think however its common usage is less about attempting
to take advantage of the 22.5% dividend, more that many think it sounds
more technical than using the word 'average'.

Anyway, to get back to somewhere near where this thread started.  I did
some rough science checks on a 250H Bird 43 insert.  I did not find that
using it resulted in readings that were dramatically low just below 2
MHz.  I checked down as far as 1.6 MHz and would say that any additional
error from using it at frequencies down to this far below its lower limit
was negligible.

My personal conclusion therefore is that both 250 Watt and 2500 Watt 'H'
series elements are good to go on topband.  If anyone has other 'H' series
ones, I would be interested in any results they collect.

Now, I have this tiny little pair of computer speakers rated at 120
Watt.  Think I will go test them with my 100 Watt per channel audio amp!

Regards.

Mark.
Mark Hill - G4FPH
E-mail: g4fph@mjha.co.uk
Current web pages at: www.qsl.net/g4fph
Old web pages at: www.g4fph.freeserve.co.uk
Dipoles resonant on 1942/3695/7065 kHz
2 ele delta loop beam resonant on 14180 kHz
Remember - SIDE for HV safety:
S witch off
I solate
D ump