[Amps] television amplifiers

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] television amplifiers
From: "John T. M. Lyles" <jtml@lanl.gov>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 16:54:37 -0700
Thanks for the encouragement. We talked to Ixys and to APT about the
application a few months back, and both were wary of the power and
frequency we needed. Certainly would sell us devices, but they don't
have a lot of experience with them above 175 MHz. At least IXYS has
got S parameters with 500 mA drain current. Of course the IXYS parts
are actually the IXYS RF company, which is up the road in Ft Collins,
the Directed Energy (DEI) that George Krausse and others started. We
use a lot of their boards and parts for HV pulses.

We got a big APT part from Dick Frey up there, but it needs to be
'circuited' and we are up to our elbows in the high power tetrode PA
design. Tubes 'R' Us as someone sez.

>Take a look at the IXYS IXZ210N50L with "S" specs to 500 MHz. WA1GFZ

Semelab seems to be one worth watching, slightly better performance
than MOT/MACOM and the others. We got a complete pallet from
Richardson, which appears to be actually from Italy. It uses these
devices.

Some of the big boys in TV broadcast designs such as Rhode and
Schwarz and Harris have done some remarkable work for DTV with
DMOSFETs. LDMOS kicks in for UHF bands. Come on Steve, we can use
your help. Money you ask? Uh.....

73
John
K5PRO