[Amps] Big Rigs (was: Re: Standby tubes was: Even more powersolid-state

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Big Rigs (was: Re: Standby tubes was: Even more powersolid-state amp's)
From: Dave Haupt <emailw8nf@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 12:22:29 -0700 (PDT)
I never had the pleasure of working on truly large
hardware, but I've seen it in the flesh.  While
visiting the Eimac factory in San Carlos, circa 1989,
they were testing a 2MW valve.  They had a second one
ready for the test amplifier.  The valve sat in a
crate; the crane with hook ready to lift it was at the
ready.  The test amplifier ran at some hundreds of
kHz, but the intended application was SW BC.  They
told me who the customer was, but I don't recall today
who was purchasing those big valves.

In 1986, I attended the NAB convention in Dallas.  One
of the features of that trip was the tour of
Continental Broadcasting.  They showed us a large
transmitter that was under construction.  In amateur
circles, one tends to peer into chassis...but for this
large TX, it was more like touring a home under
construction.  "Now this room here, is where the
output network will be installed, and through that
door, will be the filament and bias supplies..."

73,

Dave W8NF

WA6FGI wrote:

>Does anyone know what level of power XERB or XEAK
>ran in the late
>fifties?  Dated a gal in that era whose parents had
>a *large* Telefunken
>table top radio that we used to listen too here in
the Sacramento area.
>Was a thrill to hear stations from south of the
>border, Clint Texas, XERF
>and such. Want to recall I had heard power levels
>were in the 100 kw
>but am not sure.  Phillips transmitters were supposed
to have been the rf