Re: [Amps] a common topic here tspa

To: "Phil Clements" <philc@texascellnet.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] a common topic here tspa
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 10:50:15 -0700
On Apr 5, 2005, at 7:00 AM, Phil Clements wrote:

> When the 8877 first appeared on the ham scene, there were several
> construction articles in both the ARRL and Bill Orr Handbooks using
> the tube
> sans suppressor. If I remember correctly, the W8JR project amp in Bill
> Orr's
> book was the first one with a suppressor called for in the recipe.
> Then came
> several Henrys into the marketplace, and all had supps. I have
> converted
> many of the 13.56 mhz plasma generators made by RF Power Products to
> ham
> use; none had a suppressor, but I added one because I thought W8JR was
> smart
> using one and also a choke in the heater line. Now, we have come a
> complete
> circle with the AL-1500 sans suppressor. Someone should have asked Reid
> Brandon at Eimac the big question 25 years ago, and this topic would
> have
> been put to rest for good.

Not quite.  As I recall, in the 1994 article "The Nearly Perfect
Amplifier". I mentioned Eimac's Bill Foote and the information he
provided about the finding of the 8877 design team regarding
gold-sputtering during an "oscillation condition".  After the article
was published, Reid told some QST staffers that Mr. Foote was not
authorized to release this information to me.

> We would know if/when one is needed, and the
> recipe for rolling one that works properly without experimentation.
>
> It is obvious that suppressors on an 8877 amp are optional, depending
> on the
> design and use requirements.

They are optional if one isn't paying for 8877s.